Voisey’s Bay Mine Expansion CSU Team
We are seeking highly qualified and experienced personnel to work as part of the Voisey’s Bay Mine Expansion Commissioning and Start-up (VBME CSU) team. Commissioning and Start-up work will be in a range of systems including: underground material handling and dewatering systems; paste plant systems; 12MVA Powerhouse systems; fresh air raise and return air raise systems and other ancillary facilities. Knowing what to do, and equally important, not what to do, is critical when confronted with daily unplanned events or circumstances during field execution of Commissioning and Start-up. Inherently by its nature and type of work, including first energization of equipment, construction in a brown field environment is a higher risk activity, and there is no room for improvisation.
The VBME CSU is responsible for: construction turnover process; pre-commissioning (S2) tasks required to verify equipment / component integrity; and, cold commissioning (S3) tasks required to verify logic and controls will function as designed and Start-up (S4) tasks functions using process materials. The Commissioning and Start-up groups will primarily consist of Commissioning and Start-up Leads, Commissioning and Start-up Technicians and Commissioning and Start-up Engineers and other Technical Support.
The position of VBME Start-up Lead is part of the Commissioning & Start-up group responsible for supporting Commissioning, development of start-up plans, pre-start-up check lists, post start check list, SOPs, and start-up training documentation. The position will be a direct report to the VBME CSU Manager.
The successful candidate will be responsible for Day to day duties and deliverables as follows:
• Responsible for implementation on a day to day basis of a strong health and safety culture in line with Vale’s Safety and Health and Environment management system.
• Review and provide input and support to the overall Commissioning and Start-up effort.
• Develop Start-up plans including a Process Overview, a Start-Up Scope, a Start-up Philosophy, and a Start-up Outline.
• Facilitate Pre-Start-up Safety Review process for the system(s).
• Complete PSSR Start-up activities.
• Develop of SOPs, Standard Jobs & Training documentation
• Start-up Execution Plan including: Participating in Interface Agreement meetings; developing Pre-Start-up Check Sheets; Start-up Check Sheets and Post Start-up Check Sheets.
• Work collaborate with vendors and other equipment specific SEMs.
• Manage modifications (including using Stature- Management of Change program) and review MoC logs to verify field changes made are accurate and approved.
• Develop Provide technical support to the commissioning group so they can execute day to day Commissioning activities.
• Provide technical support to the Start-up team, as well as manage troubleshoot request from the team. Solve problems as they occur daily.
• Provide technical leadership and expertise to the Project team.
• Review turn over documents.
• Field Level Testing/Validating/Adjusting equipment (Mechanical & Instrumentation);
• Coordination with DCS and PLC programmers for logic/interlocks testing & adjustments;
• Provide Support to Operations during Start Up.
• Develop vendor scopes of work to assist with onsite Start-up of the vendors equipment.
• Communicate and work collaboratively with various project disciplines – including other commissioning groups, operating support groups, project engineering, QA and construction disciplines.
Essential Skills / Qualifications & Assets:
• Mechanical, Electrical or Process University degree in engineering or an equivalent combination of education, training and field experience.
• 5 years of experience working on large industrial projects.
• Previous experience on leading Commissioning efforts is seen as an asset.
• Previous experience in Commissioning and/or Start-up of underground material handling and dewatering systems; paste plant systems; 12MVA Powerhouse systems; fresh air raise and return air raise systems is seen as an asset
• Demonstrated proficiency in the understanding of isometrics and PID drawings.
• Comfortable working in a team-based environment while possessing the ability to manage and prioritize day to day duties and deliverables.
• Demonstrate proficiency in the use MS Excel & Outlook.
• Strong Organization Skills
• Strong Communication Skills, both Written & Oral
• Previous work in Long Harbour Processing Plant or Voisey’s Bay seen as an asset.
Work Site and Schedule
• Position is based in Voisey’s Bay, the shift schedule is 2 weeks in 2weeks out, working 12hr days, for the 14days on site. The rotation / shift / schedule may change to meet the needs of the project execution effort. You may be expected to work from the St. John’s office from time to time.
• The place of work will be Voisey’s Bay Site in Labradour, as a fly in / fly out operation, all employees will be flown to/from designated pick up / drop off points in Newfoundland and Labrador on VNL’s chartered service to site at no cost to them.